So, I am about 5 weeks behind on the postings...but am ready to get caught up! I have been trying to scrapbook her pages before I post them, but my mom has put the pressure on for me to post! So....here is our girl at 6 weeks...she is napping with her bop and her favorite little blankie (from my awesome friend Kristi!) For now this little blankie can cover her tiny little body, but before long it will look like a tiny piece of fabric next to her! So this is what my family is doing in the mornings.....
while I am busy working on these....
And something else we have been working on is trying to bottle feed Maya. It is not going so well. She took a bottle at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and now at 6 weeks is is downright refusing. The other times she took one, it was only after having an ultimate meltdown. We were trying these soothie bottles/nipples that are exactly like the pacifiers we use at the hospital that all of those babies like, but my baby does NOT like ANY type of pacifier! argh! We have tried a nuk, soothie, and avent and she just looks at me like...what in the world is this?!?! I am sure I will be glad she didn't take a paci when she is a little bit older, but for right now, I think she as well as me, would enjoy if she did! So, I ordered the breastflow bottles (the ones I despised using when I floated to the NICU all the time) and I think they are a better fit. So, here is a picture of Jason attempting to feed Maya...and if you look close she is crying hysterically, which is not fun for ANY of us! She basically chokes down about 2 ounces and then passes out from all of the hysterics. I don't go back to work until May 16th, so we have some time to work on it. The pediatrician suggested that I physically leave the house when he gives her the bottle because apparently they can smell you up to 20 feet! Who knew babies were so amazing in the sense department??? So, for any of you moms out there that went through this battle of introducing the bottle, please...any suggestions would help! :)
She is getting so strong...sitting up in her Bumbo better and better these days
this is her precious face when she is about to protest about something! I can't help but smile when I see this because she is just so cute no matter what face she is making!
The next problem situation is her dreaded car seat...since we live in the city and parking is such a hassle we walk almost everywhere! So...she has not had to get used to her car seat. She HATES it. She has a meltdown almost everytime we put her in it. We needed some practice because we were going to be making a trip back to Iowa in a few weeks and she was definitely going to need to do better by then! So, we took her to the beach and she did pretty well this go around. This is one of my favorite little coats she has...almost every other hooded item she has the hood is way too big and never stays on very well, or covers half of her face...but this one is really cozy and it is fitted just right around her face so it keeps her nice and toasty! I call her my little snowbaby...
On the trip back home it was surprisingly quiet and we found her like this...so much for my love of the coat and how it fits around her face so nicely! But, hey...whatever works for her, works for me!






Maya is so adorable. Jenna, I know your pain all to well when it comes to trying to get a breastfed baby to bottle feed. With my oldest daughter we probably tried half a dozen or more different brands of bottles/nipples but the one that finally worked was Playtex drop-in with the orthodontic nipples. These are a little wider than regular bottle nipples and it worked immediately, she even took the bottle from me. I know each baby is different but this is what worked for us. I hope you have success.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you updated! I stock everyday waiting... and waiting for more pics of your little one. I am so glad things are going so well! I am no expert on the whole feeding thing, but when it comes to those breast flow bottles I found (from the endless floating to NICU) that if you take out the hard blue middle nipple thing they stay with it longer. I heard a OT gal say that the reason they don't love em' is because they take so much to initiate flow (just like the breast) but that it constantly takes that much efort (where as in Breast feeding once they are lached and sucking the effort is way decreased). Anyhow there you have it my 2cents.
ReplyDeleteJamie-thanks for the advice! My friend Kristi uses the drop-ins for her babies that went from breast to bottle and it worked for her too...I just might have to give them a try!
ReplyDeleteKel-that is such a GREAT idea! I would have never thought of doing that! Jason gave Maya a bottle the other day and she took it right away without a fuss, but only took 2 ounces and then started freaking out like she was hungry but didn't know what to do anymore...so this may solve that issue! thanks!
p.s. I CANNOT wait for you to become a mommy! You are SO close! And you are going to love every second of it....and when you finally get your baby, you will look back and realize that all the waiting was TOTALLY worth it!