In our fast 5 days 4 nights trip back to Iowa we were able to celebrate Maya's Christening. I grew up attending the Lutheran Church with my family. I was baptized as an infant and later went through Confirmation when I was in ninth grade to confirm my belief in the Lord. Jason grew up attending the Baptist Church and was baptized when he was in fourth or fifth grade (according to his memory) when he chose to become apart of God's family and announce his belief in the Lord. When it came time for us to decide what we wanted for Maya we decided on a compromise between the two denominations. We decided to dedicate her to the Lord as an infant and later she will get to make her own decision to be baptized when she truly understands the meaning of Baptism. Her dedication ceremony was more for us as her parents to announce that we plan to raise her as a Christian, as well as have our families and her Godparents (Ty
& Josie) support her in learning about the Lord and grow in her Christian faith. Since we were on the fence about whether or not Jason was going to be able to make the trip back home to Iowa this time, we planned the ceremony very last minute. We were blessed to have our immediate families present (minus Kyle and Brandy whom we really missed) as well as some extended family from Jason's side. It was such a special day! We had her dedicated at Olivet Baptist Church (where J and I renewed our vows) by Pastor Steve (who officiated for us when we renewed our wedding vows). Grandma Groll, Aunt Natasha, Aunt Jill and Uncle William all came from Missouri. Uncle Rod and Aunt Lynn came from Iowa and one of my best friends from college Krisit & Mitch came with their two littles Kadence and Laeton. Grammy, with the help of Josie and Papa put together a fabulous lunch and hosted for us at their new house near Saylorville Lake in Iowa. It was so great to get caught up with everyone! Kristi's little boy Laeton is just 4 months older than Maya, and they just happened to be on the same feeding schedule, so Kristi and I had a chance to catch up one-on-one while nursing our babies. We both had the same brand nursing covers...can I say again how fabulous they are?!? It was really amazing to think back to when we were living together and what our life was like almost 9 years ago when we met! Now we are both married with kids! What an amazing journey it has been! We can go months and months without talking and just pick up right where we left off, she is a forever friend! And I do have to give a little shout-out to Mitch, because he was a TROOPER. Kristi had to leave him and their 2 1/2 year old Kadence to fend for themselves downstairs with our families! I think my mom took them under her wing and of course everyone started lunch while we were nursing upstairs. I would have to say that is one downer about breastfeeding...you miss out on things. You have to disappear for almost an hour at a time about every 2-3 hours! Well, I suppose you don't have to disappear, but I try to be as discreet as possible and that usually means going into another room. When we were at my Grandpa's birthday celebration I had to nurse Maya in the women's restroom! When I left to go in to nurse her the party was roaring and there were at least 30+ people there. When we came out my parents, Jason and Aunt Darla were the only ones left! It was kind of sad....I didn't even get to say goodbye to some of my aunts/uncles. But...in the scheme of things....the time missed out on other things was solely dedicated to my little girl and her health, so I can't feel bad about that!
Pastor Steve giving Maya some loves
4 generations: Grandma Groll, Grammy Silber, J and miss Maya
I think everyone that held Maya smelled her! It is infectious...that baby smell.
Jason says she smells like brown sugar
my mom and Kenady
the Luneburg fam minus Justin and Sam: they had to drive back to Colorado immediately after Maya's dedication
the Silber fam minus Kyle and Brandy
(Kyle's spring break was the week before)
maya was a little beyond herself in this picture....she was hungry and had been in her gown all day so we decided to just go ahead and take the picture even if she was crying
(since it really did capture what the moment was like)
Aunt Jill (sherrie's youngest sister who is actually only in her 30's) taking in that baby smell!
mommy and maya....she is totally eyeing the cake!
this beautiful butterfly cake was made by Grammy and Josie!
I really hope Maya gets at least a fraction of their artistic talents!
this same gown has been worn by all of maya's second cousins!
My Aunt Lori (my mom's sister) made this, isn't she AMAZING! It is so beautiful!
Haley is the oldest great grandchild on my mom's side and she is 11 years old!
baby legs and lacey socks
this is her newly found favorite thing!





















No comments:
Post a Comment