April 25th, 2010
So the other day we were out on one of our walks and we started walking west towards Ocean Beach. About 40 minutes into our walk I asked J how far we were from the beach and he figured we had to be pretty close. Now, the funny thing about this is that he sometimes rollerblades to the beach and then runs back home for a good workout. I have asked him on other occasions how far away the beach was when out on our walks in golden gate park and he would gasp and say "It would take us ALL day to walk to the beach from here." So, I never really gave it much thought after that. Fast-forward to the other day when he said we had to be pretty close and we were only about 40 minutes into our walk! hmmm....so maybe it wouldn't take all day to walk there! ;) We made it to the beach and back home in about 2 hours round-trip. It was definitely a trek! I was interested to see how far we had walkd and was shocked to discover that Ocean Beach is at least 3 miles from our apartment...so we walked a little more than 6 miles! So we decided it was a fun new walk, and the scenery on the way is gorgeous....you can take a wooded trail almost all the way there! This time around Maya was a lot more alert and decided she needed a little snack on the way, so we went off path to a hidden area of fallen tree trunks and we took a mini snack break for her!
as you can see Ocean Beach is quite a bit different than Baker Beach. Ocean Beach has higher tides that roll in so there is a larger area of sand, and that sand is a lot more hardened from the waves. It is also right next to the famous highway "one" so that generates A LOT of traffic. If you look close you can see that there is quite a bit of graffiti on the cement barrier between the beach and the highway. And all of the green in the distance is Golden Gate Park!
and as always you can see the fog hovering over the ocean. I didn't realize how foggy this city was until I was actually living here. Jreminded me that san fran's nickname is Fog City! I know you all may be jealous that we live so close to these wonderful beaches, but what you may not be jealous of is that it never really gets above 70 degrees here! You can see that most of the people are fully clothed at the beach! :) I had to snap a picture of these surfers because I totally wish I new how to surf! This was a Saturday or Sunday I believe and it was a high of 70 so the beach was totally packed that day! Either way, I love the ocean breeze, the sound of the waves crashing in, the seagulls swooping into the water and the warm sand between my toes.








No comments:
Post a Comment